Pomelo’s Computer Lab Program
Our school has a wonderful computer lab and computer literacy program led by Mr. Michael Sheets. Students in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade participate in this program and have access to the lab during their free time.
Learning computer technical terms (i.e. operating system, RAM, CPU)
- Learning keyboarding skills via Type to Learn 4 (keyboarding program)
- Learning word processing skills
- Learning presentation skills via Power Point software
- Learning how to navigate & do research on the internet correctly and safely
- Learning other software programs such as creating in publisher; using Windows Movie Maker; etc.
By the end of their 5th grade year, the students:
- Can compete for a culmination award of an engraved “Silver Mouse” by completing all 34 TTL4 lessons with the highest WPM and best accuracy
- Are proficient in using word processing program to create a writing folder
- Are proficient in creating multiple presentation/power point slide shows
- Can do research on the internet.
Parents can help support their child’s computer education in the following ways:
- Download/purchase a home computer typing program
- Ask them what they learned new for the week regarding a technical detail about the computer
- Have them demonstrate how to work with a word-type program and create a paragraph or 2 for you
- Have them demonstrate how to work with a powerpoint-type slide shows
- Encourage them to read and take reading practice quizzes through the Accelerated Reader program
We are lucky enough to have a wonderful teacher running this program for the last 4 years. Mr. Michael Sheets has a B.S. in Marketing Mgmt & Promotions from CSULA. He had previously worked as an IT and Network manager for Scott Public Relations for 7 years. He also owns his own business that does search engine optimization for small and middle size businesses for last 4 years.
In addition to running the computer lab program, Michael also does a host of other duties at Pomelo. He is in charge of educating the teachers on all computer related school matters. He keeps classroom desktops upgraded and running. He maintains the school’s wireless network. He also assists teachers in creating special projects for students.
Other fun facts about Michael:
Michael has also coached his son and daughters’ soccer teams for over 13 years combined. He has been a techie since high school in Minnesota. He created a golfing program in the way-back days. He’s stayed on the periphery of the tech field until diving in full-time 7 years ago. And he also loves to read.